Monday, December 27, 2010

Chart: The Last Day



We have already looked briefly at the Lord's use of the phrase "the end" or, as the Great Commission verse has it, "the end of the world." Jesus states that at 'the end' (at the consummation of this age) the gospel will cease to be preached, the saints will be gathered to him, and his enemies will be put down. (see Matthew 24)

I would like to also address the phrase "at the last day."

In John chapter 6, when discussing the bread of life that came down from heaven, Jesus states FOUR times that the the resurrection of the saints will be "at the last day."

John 6:39 "And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day."

John 6:40 "And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day. "

John 6:44 "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day."

John 6:54 "Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day."

The Lord Jesus states this FOUR times! The resurrection of the saints is NOT seven years before the last day of this age, nor is it 3 1/2 years before the last day of this age, IT WILL BE AT THE LAST DAY!

Martha understood it. At the tomb of Lazarus, she said, "I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day." (John 11:24)


We must not try to avoid the plain teaching of Scripture by making this 'day' refer to a 'period of time' or to an 'epoch.' Very simply put, it is the final day of this age. It is the consummation day, the last day, the end. After this day, the reign of Christ on earth will begin.

On this last day, we will see many of the great events of the future occur. It is the Great and Terrible Day of the Lord.

And it is one, single Day.





No comments:

Post a Comment